Friday, April 07, 2006

Talks about Lemuria PARTE UNO


As I promised some time ago I will start a series of talks to this great friend so You artist can have a better perspective of what is in front of you in case you want to be One of Us!!

Right now the interview is in Spanish but hopefully in my free times to load the English version over the weekends.

Estas son las series de preguntas y opiniones que vertira JOSE RAMON GALLEGO y su servidor preguntara mas y mas hasta quedarme sin bytes para comprender mas a fondo como un buen amigo y un increible artista sustituyo los lapices y los pinceles por los tiernos acordes de la guitarra.(Son opiniones bastante duras por si algun lector quiere detenerse en esta parte).

JESUS ANTONIO:Estimado Jose podrias darme una pequeña y breve sipnosis de tu trabajo como ilustrador...y ademas como es que te llamo la atencion esto de los tebeos..

JOSE RAMON:En mi estancia en México durante ocho años, lo que va de 1972 a 1980, se inicia mi pasión por dibujar. De pequeño, en clase de dibujo, ya se evidenciaba cierto talento para el dibujo y además disfrutaba. Se convirtió en una verdadera pasión. Pero el momento decisivo en mi vida, fué con 12 o 13 años, cuando tengo la ocasión de encontrarme con dos libros de dos ilustradores, que hasta entonces no conocía. Eran Boris Vallejo y Frank Frazetta. Dibuje durante muchos años hasta depurar mi técnica y alcanzar un cierto nivel aceptable. Sólo hay una palabra que lo defina todo y es: trabajo, trabajo y trabajo.

JESUS ANTONIO:Cual piensas fue el pinaculo de tu carrera y ademas cual crees que haya sido tu punto mas bajo y porque?

JOSE RAMON:El pináculo de mi carrera, como tú lo llamas, ha sido la posibilidad que me ofreció Ramón Monte Blanco de publicar mi primera portada para el Fanzine Barzelona Comic y también diversas publicaciónes para los U.S.A.
Puntos bajos he tenido muchos, aunque por fortuna todo llegó a su fin. Un día decidí dejarlo todo y ahora me siento tranquilo. Creo que he aparcado para siempre los lápices y no me arrepiento.

JESUS ANTONIO:Tenias alguna objetivo cuando decidiste en convertirte en Ilustrador.

JOSE RAMON:-El objetivo que tenía cuando decidí convertirme en Ilustrador era vivir profesionalmente haciendo este trabajo. No pudo ser ni será. Soy demasiado mayor para soñar en ese sentido. Antes me preocupaba y sufría, ahora me da exactamente igual. Como te comento, estoy muy féliz con mi nueva vida y mis nuevas aficiones.


JESUS ANTONIO:Que te desagrado del medio? como para que hayas tomado la decision de no producir mas trabajor o por lo menos a nivel comercial...

JOSE RAMON:-Muchísimas cosas son las que me desagradan del medio. Te lo digo por experiencia. Hay que pensar que España no es Estados Unidos. No estoy diciendo que en Estados Unidos no ocurran también esta serie de cosas pero es que España es tierra de ladrones, envidiosos, gilipollas y que se yo. Entiéndase bien, me refiero en el aspecto que nos ocupa, que es el del arte.

JESUS ANTONIO:Desde hace mucho tiempo estuve al tanto de tu trabajo de acrilicos pero no sabia que los habias realizado y ahora que he visto tu trabajo literalmente de cerca como es que no eres editado por alguna editorial?

JOSE RAMON:Te corrijo. Mi obra a color es predominantemente óleo. No son acrílicos.
No he publicado tanto como me hubiera gustado porque, por lo que te decía anteriormente, España no es Estados Unidos. Aquí el mercado no apuesta por la ilustración, se decantan más por el cómic. Y también porque la época dorada de este mundillo hace ya décadas que ocurrió. El mercado en España es una auténtica mierda.

JESUS ANTONIO:Bueno se que estuviste viviendo bastante tiempo en Mexico cual crees que fue la mejor leccion que has recibido en tu tiempo radicando aca a nivel de trabajo artistico.

JOSE RAMON:Vivir durante ocho años en México, D.F. no es bastante tiempo. La mejor lección que he recibido a nivel de trabajo artístico en México no existe ya que mi estancia en ese país va de los cinco a los trece años. El descubrimiento de los libros "The Fantastic Art of Boris Vallejo" y "The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta" con doce o trece años es lo más destacable de mi estancia en México.

JESUS ANTONIO:Que puede motivar a alguien con una entrega total a ser illustrador a finalmente darte por vencido, y por vencido no lo digo en forma negativa sino en que te motivo normalmente uno tiene una situacion que es tan clara que la ve como solucion en tu caso cual fue el caso...

JOSE RAMON:Tan importante como el trabajo bien hecho es cuidar el aspecto de las "relaciones públicas". De nada sirve que seas un fenómeno ilustrando si luego tu trabajo no sale a la luz. Me explico, trabajar por amor al arte suena muy bien y puede estar bien durante un cierto tiempo, pero si lo que haces no te genera prestigio y dinero, apaga y vámonos. Si encima están cargado de responsabilidades, como es mi caso, será mejor que lo olvides. Admiro a los artistas que se pasan el resto de su vida luchando por algo a sabiendas de que nunca lo conseguirán. Realmente el verdadero artista, es aquel que trabaja por amor al arte, pero en esta vida uno necesita la lana para vivir. Y es que más importante que el arte es la comida. Eso nadie lo discute.
Cuando era joven veía tan claro que me iba a dedicar a esto profesionalmente, que no fué así y me lleve una gran desilusión. De un amor se convirtió en un desamor. Pensaba que me iba a hacer millonario. Intentar mantenerse y vivir del cómic, ilustración, etc. es una empresa muy arriesgada. Es un género minoritario que acabará por desaparecer.

Que tengan un buen dia!!


TRANSLATION

These are the series of questions and opinions that JOSE RAMON GALLEGO and truly yours will ask eachtoher more and more till not having more bytes in order to deeply understand how a nice friend and incredible artist substitute the pencils and brushes for the tender chords of a guitar. (the opinions are a bit harsh so If a reader wants to stop here just do it!)

JESUS ANTONIO: Dear Jose could you give me a brief sipnosis of you work as an illustrator…and also how did Comics called your attention…
JOSE RAMON: In my residence in Mexico for over 8 years, from 1972 to 1980, the passion for drawing starts. When I was young, in my drawing class it was shown certain talent and skill for drawing besides my enjoyment while doing it. It became a real passion.But the most decisive moment in my life was I was around 12 or 13 that I bumped into 2 books of 2 illustrators, that I never herad of till that moment. BORIS VALLEJO AND FRANK FRAZETTA.
I drew over many years till polishing my technique and reach a certain level that was acceptable in terms of quality. There is only one word that defines all: WORK, WORK AND WORK.

JESUS ANTONIO:What do you think was your higlight point and which one was you lowest point in your work and why?
JOSE RAMON:the higlight as you call it, was the opportunity that was given by RAMON MONTE BLANCO of publishing my first Cover for the Fanzine Barcelona comic and some other publications over USA.Lower points I have had many, but luckuly everything is now over.One day I just decided to get rid of everything and now I am really calm. I just parked forever the penciling work and I have no regrets.

JESUS ANTONIO:did you have a specific goal when You decided to become and illustrator?
JOSE RAMON:The goal I had when I decided to become an ilustrador was to live professionally by working on this. It couldn`t be and It won`t be.I am too old now to keep dreaming in that way. Before I was really concerned and suffered, now I just couldn`t care less. As I was telling you I am very happy with my life now and my new hobbies and likes.

JESUS ANTONIO: What was the thing that Despise you from the medium enough so you made that decision of not producting work any longer at least from the comercial way…
JOSE RAMON:-A lot of things are the ones I do not like from the medium.I am telling you this from my own experience.We have to think that Spain is not USA. I am not saying that in USA does not happen the same things but Spain is land of thiefs,mother fuckers and people envy you and God knows what else.Understand well , I am only and just reffering to the aspect We are in talk. That is ART.

JESUS ANTONIO:Since Long time I have been aware of your work in acrylics but I didn`t realize it was you and now I have seen your work literally so close ..How come you are not printed by an Editorial?
JOSE RAMON:Let me correct you, My work in color is mainly in oils, not acrylics. I haven`t been published as I would liked because as I was telling you before, spain is not USA. Here the market doesn`t bet or invest in illustration, the are more fond for Comic. Also the golden Era of this art has been gone away for decades . The market in Spain is just shit.

JESUS ANTONIO: Well I know you were living in Mexico for a long time..What do you think was the best lesson you have received while leaving here in terms of your work.
JOSE RAMON: Leaving in Mexico,DF for 8 years is not a lot of time.the best lesson I have received in terms of my work and Mexico, dones`t exist because my residence goes while I was from 5 to my 13 years old. The discovery of the books "The Fantastic Art of Boris Vallejo" and "The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta" at my 12 was the highlight of being in Mexico.

JESUS ANTONIO: What can motivate someone with a total commitment to illustration to finally give up, and by giving up I am not implying a negative term on the contrary everybody has a motif, normally when We are in a situation that is so clear just to be the solution, what was your case?.
JOSE RAMON:As important is the quality in your work as is the aspect of caring of “public relations”. It is useless that you are a phenomenon illustrating If later on your work is not printed. Am I clear?, to work because of the love to the craft sounds so good and can be good for certain time, but If what you do doesn`t generate prestige and money, just turn everything off and go away. And if you take in consideration your real life responibilites, as it was in my case, is better you forget all about. I admire the artists that pass the rest of their lives struggling for something knowing that they would never get it. Truly to say that the real artist is the one who works as a matter of Love, but in real life We need money to live up. And it is more important food than art We have no more arguments for that.
When I was young it was so clear that I would do this professionally but it was not so it was a really big dissapointment.From Love became a lost love. I thought I would be a millionaire. To try t live up from comics, illustration etc.Risky entreprise to do so. Illustrtion is a genre that is close to disappear.


Have a great day!!

JESUS ANTONIO

No comments: