Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Corner..... Chuck Gibson THE WHOLE INTERVIEW

I continue celebrating my One year of blogging so I am including this time the complete interview I did to the Great Chuck Gibson, and it is also helping me to introduce the series of other interviews I will do over the weeks to people I like,respect and admire a lot.

So keep checking regularly to see the new interviews to be honest Are really High Profile Professionals of the medium and I can be only grateful to them big time!!

Presentation.
When I started the process of Robot Love I never expected to be with people I admire and also respect.As you have seen our nice Ron Fortier beign always so polite and gentle with me, and now another person is getting aboard the journey: Chuck Gibson.

This is one of the happiest times about being with a person who has been a great person over all these years,a friend and also a person that with his example of life has taught me about how to become a better person,things I won`t do that He had to pass through , also not to take things for granted and the way to be extremely cautios and become more mature and smarter as a person and artist.He talks the ways He feels and I have to be honest I really like his hyper realistic way of thinking.
This is his Bio so you can know more the insights of the great risk of becoming a Pro in the medium and know him better.

BIO
Chuck Gibson was discovered in the 'second wave' of the Homage Talent Search in 1994 and hired by Jim Lee. Chuck remained with Homage, which became Wildstorm, for three and a half years as an inker working on nearly all of the titles they published at one time or another. Chuck's Wildstorm credits include Wetworks, Grifter, Wildcats, Savant Guarde, Backlash, and many others--along with more trading cards, pinups, and promotional illustrations than even he can`t remember. Chuck went freelance in 1997 and has since worked for a number of companies including Crossgeneration comics where he inked the Silken Ghost Mini series. He lives in Roswell, New Mexico and his hobbies include sleep deprivation and writing about himself in the third person. :)So thank you Chuck for the back up and being with us!!!

JESUS ANTONIO.-I was thinking seriously to what you said last time about inking and the way you see it, and I was also thinking that the first times trying to become a penciler I was just imitating the final look to be like the inked pages and not the penciled ones. Did you set a limit or a line about your career in the medium? (I mean have you set a time limit to see some results of just to continue with the journey).

CHUCK GIBSON-I don't really think there's any sort of limit you can set on any of this if you're being honest about how you're going about it all. You might get tired of the business itself and walk away from that part of it----but if you're being honest with yourself, you're doing this because you love telling stories--that part doesn't go away. Even if all you're doing is sitting and drawing stories for yourself that no one will ever see while you do something else to make money---at heart, you're a storyteller and it's hard to walk away from that part. It's like waking up one day and saying you'll no longer use your left hand for anything or something like that. It's all either part of you or it isn't.

JESUS ANTONIO.-In terms of your work what it has been the Best moment or Best work done till now for you and Why?

CHUCK GIBSON.-I think my best inks were done in the Silken Ghost work because I wasn't being told HOW to ink those pencils at all. I did what I thought was appropriate for them without any input from anyone else. So many times I've been told by a penciler that he likes 'so-and-so's' inking or is going for a particular look---as soon as that happens, I feel obligated to one degree or another to 'steer' what I do towards that look rather than just following my own instincts.

JESUS ANTONIO.-I already know the answer but tell the guys specially the newbies.Do you recommend them to get into the medium? Yes, No and Why?

CHUCK GIBSON.-The medium itself----sure, go ahead---but don't count on making a living at it is all. I guess that's my best answer. The medium itself is a great one. The business that's commercially 'supporting' that medium is in sad shape and has been for a very long time. Don't come into it if you're coming into it for the money, because there just isn't any here anymore---but if you're coming in because you love to draw and tell stories, I think now is as good of a time as ever.

JESUS ANTONIO.-About Robot Love, Can you give the guys an idea on how will you approach the work?

CHUCK GIBSON.-Now why in the world would I do that? The folks here have seen how great the pencils are and have an idea of the story based upon what's there visually---I don't think we should give it ALL away. If they want to see what I've done with it and they want to read the words that go with the pictures, I think it's only fair that they pay the cost to buy the book. :)

JESUS ANTONIO.-How do you attack the page in terms of the skill and the mental visualization, is there a ritual you have or do you set a limit time in every page?

CHUCK GIBSON.-I have to look at the page and visualize it as finished work. I have to see the pencil as finished ink---every time, no matter what. Sometimes I'm only visualizing the part I'm working on that particular moment as finished---but I always have to have that mental image of what those pencils should look like when inked to have any idea of what to do with it.

JESUS ANTONIO:Hey Chuck! All the time that has passed since the last questions made to you.I have read about you deciding to become a penciler more formally.As I told you previously it is I guess the best smart move to do and I just imagine how your work will develop from now on.Why the change?

CHUCK GIBSON:I've spent over 10 years as an inker and I think I've gone as far with it as I'm going to, really. This was always the plan from the beginning---the final goal is to write, pencil, ink, and color---doing the whole job or whatever parts interest me at that time. That's always been the goal when I aspired to get into this business. I want to be able to do it all if I want to.

JESUS ANTONIO:Plans for the future as an inker? as an artist? as a person?

CHUCK GIBSON:I have a no plans as an inker for the near future. If a project is something I want to do, then I'll ink---but no plans in the immediate future to continue inking as my sole career. As an artist, I'm going back and trying to do the things I skipped over in my development before. I'm planning on going back to school either to get a degree or going to the Gnomon school in LA to train to do 3D animation. I'm not sure which one I'll do at the moment. The main goal is to go back and do the things that are good for an artist to do that I've skipped over. A real 'back to basics' sort of goal going on.

JESUS ANTONIO:People still believe that it is easy to find a job in this medium You and I know the reality on that but What do you say to yourself everytime just not to let yourself down? I am always impressed in a very good way in the way you are realizing and understanding what is around you.

CHUCK GIBSON:I've actually spent YEARS in denial about the conclusions I've reached recently. These are things that people told me over and over that I simply didn't want to hear. I've spent a good portion of my career waiting for the business to rebound out of the slump it's been in and finally got tired of waiting for things to get better. Comics are all I've ever really wanted to do and I hate thinking of it this way, but I have a family to support and if I can't make a living here, I owe it to them to explore other things to try to do better financially. I don't think I'll ever stop doing comics entirely---I'll always do them for myself if nothing else---but I can't count on it for my living any more and I need to move along professionally because of that.

JESUS ANTONIO:What is the new work We are going to see from you or has been recently printed?

CHUCK GIBSON:Right now I'm ducking out of sight. I'm spending time on commission work and on personal work only. I want the industry to forget about me a little bit so that when I come back as a penciler there isn't a pre-conceived notion about what I can or can't do.

JESUS ANTONIO:Well this is the final question from the interview and I am just grateful to you and the person I know you are.Do you want to say something else You think I forgot to ask or say?

CHUCK GIBSON:I think we pretty much covered it all. It's been a pleasure and I thank you for having me over to your forum here. It's been great.


Have a great time Chuck and everybody!

JESUS ANTONIO

1 comment:

antonio said...

Yes June!!It is great to have this kind of conversation with a really nice guy like chuck!! JESUS ANTONIO

Great day to you!!